How can you tell if your soul mate is a narcissist? The term narcissist is an easy label for people in a relationship with selfish or childish person. Below is a list of signs that your partner may be a narcissist, but keep in mind, that these are just signs, and not a diagnosis. If your partner has only one or two of these signs, it may not mean anything. But if most of the signs are true, it may indicate that your soul mate is truly a narcissist.
Signs Your Soul Mate is a Narcissist
1) The first sign your soul mate could be a narcissist is that they are extremely demanding, and their expectations are too much for anyone to achieve. Ask yoursle, what can you demand and expect from them? Is it pretty much nothing? A narcissist will only give and do for you, only what they feel like doing, and that won’t be much.
2) Another sign your partner might be a narcissist, is a lack of consideration for your goals, your feelings, your family, friends, and your life in general. They want you to be considerate of their goals, feelings,family, and friends, but they won’t be considerate of yours. They dismiss your feelings, telling you that you’re “wrong” for feeling the way you feel. A narcissist might tell you, since they didn’t mean to make you feel like bad, that you have no right to feel that way. They won’t ask you about your day, your job, or even about your children together.
3) Narcissists won’t allow your opinions when it comes to decisions affecting both of you. They always know what’s best, so they don’t need your input. Since they are the smartest person in the relationship, always capable of making the best decisions, they will make the decision, and tell you about it later (or you will find out about it later).
4) Relationships should be 50/50. A soul mate relationship with a narcissist however, is 0/100. They bring nothing into the relationship, and expect you to do it all. All the hard work will be on you. If you stay together, it will be because you change for them, not because the made any change for you. Their attitude will be, you should glad to be in a relationship with them, and they shouldn’t have to do anything to keep the relationship going.
5) Another sign of a narcissist, is that they will go overboard with self congratulations. If they are working on a team project, and the project is a success, any minor contribution they may have made will be the sole source of it’s success, downplaying the contribution of the rest of the team. They want the accolades, but rarely, if ever, will they give anyone else a real compliment.
6) Many people have a hard time with criticism, but narcissists have the hardest time of all. They can be critical of you all day, but good luck if you give them even constructive criticism. Their reaction could be explosive. They only want praise, and criticism will cause denial and defensiveness.
A soul mate relationship with a narcissist will never be easy. They will work to make you feel inadequate, causing your self esteem and sense of dignity to plummet. If you are in such a relationship, do not isolate yourself. Talk to someone you can trust so you have support while going through a relationship like this and so you don’t feel alone.